IVORY COAST: Support to the Urban Mobility Authority of Greater Abidjan (2021 – 2023)
Type of agreement
Duration of the agreement
Implementation date and schedule
Context of the cooperation
Since 2021, CODATU has been involved in the animation of a technical cooperation in Abidjan, with the Greater Abidjan Mobility Organising Authority.
Indeed, in view of the increase in mobility needs in Abidjan, the authorities adopted in 2015 a Master Plan for Urban Development of Greater Abidjan (SDUGA) which promotes a radical improvement of the public transport offer by recommending, in particular, the construction of two complementary and interconnected heavy axes: one North-South, which is the subject of a metro project supported by France, and the other East-West, which is the subject of a BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) project around which the Abidjan Urban Mobility Project (PMUA) financed by the World Bank and the AFD is structured. The timetables for the commissioning of these two major projects are similar, which underlines the interest of an intermodal approach.
In order to organise and coordinate these structuring developments and to ensure the professionalisation and modernisation of small-scale transport, the Greater Abidjan Urban Mobility Authority (AMUGA) was created in 2019 with the mission of structuring and regulating traffic and the public transport network for the Abidjan district.
The technical cooperation led by CODATU aims to provide AMUGA with:
- Support for the consolidation and structuring of AMUGA, through activities relating to the governance of urban mobility and mentoring of AMUGA executives
- Specific technical support on strategic projects, in particular on the subjects of modernisation of the small-scale transport sector and intermodality.
- This support will be implemented through thematic workshops, technical visits to French cities and several African metropolises, and targeted expertise missions.
- Cooperation Officer in Abidjan: Mélissande Boyer, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Project Manager: Solène Baffi, email@example.com
- Senior Governance Expert: Raymond Deschamps, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senior intermodality expert: Olivier Crouzier, email@example.com