UNIMED, the Mediterranean Universities Union, founded in October 1991, is an association of Universities from the countries of the Mediterranean basin (www.uni-med.net
). It counts 103 associated Universities coming from 23 countries of both shores of Mediterranean (data updated to November 2017).
UNIMED’s aim is to develop university research and education in the Euro-Mediterranean area in order to contribute to scientific, cultural, social and economic cooperation. UNIMED acts in different fields: tangible and intangible cultural heritage, economics, energy, environment, management of water resources, transports, health, media, new technologies, history, tourism. The image that better represents our association is that of a University Without Walls.
UNIMED carries out the following activities in favour of the associated Universities:
• Promotion of the international dimension of universities;
• Planning and fund-raising activities: information on call for proposals and opportunities offered by international and European Commission, partnership search, technical assistance, planning; dissemination;
• Promotion of mobility in the Euro-Mediterranean region, for students, researchers and academic staff;
• Technical assistance for the enhancement of quality assurance in university education;
• Creation of thematic Sub-Networks to foster the scientific cooperation within specific fields;
• Organization of meetings, discussions, seminars and round tables both at a national and international level;
• Training for academic and administrative staff of Universities, particularly for the personnel of International Relations Offices.
Through the many initiatives carried out over the two decades, UNIMED has promoted the collaboration between universities of the Mediterranean, becoming a point of reference of the international university cooperation.