Last 9th and 10h of July 2018, CODATU was involved into the 1st conference « France/East Africa » co-organized by the French Embassy in Kenya and Business France. The main topic of the conference was « sustainable urban development of the region ». Jean-Jacques Helluin, Executive Manager of CODATU led a session concerning the topic of sustainable urban mobility, in which different actors participated :
– Mathieu Verdure from AFD (talked about the AFDs’ tools concerning urban mobility projects) ;
– Ato Haile Fesseha, City Manager of Addis Ababa City Administration (talked about the subject of BRT lines in Addis Ababa) ;
– Michael Njonge, Technical Director of NAMATA (Nairobi Metropolitan Area Transport Authority) (talked about the subject of mass transport lines in Nairobi) ;
– François Bruyant from TRANSDEV ;
– Charlotte Riche from Poma (has shown that the cable car may be an appropriate alternative for urban transport in this region) ;
– Henry Ochieng, CEO of KARA (Kenya Alliance of Resident Associations)
About one hundred people has joined this interesting discussion. This conference is the first step of a process wanted by the Economical Regional Service, which will continue until a Summit Africa-France on the topic of « Sustainable City », that is scheduled for 2020 in Paris.