At the invitation of the AFD, CODATU met on 31st October in Paris with the Nairobi authorities (Francis Gitau, Acting Director of NAMATA and Secretary Infrastructure within the Ministry of Transport, Infrastructure and Urban Development, and Mucemi Gakuru, prefigurator the Commuter Rail Unit, in charge of implementing the Commuter Rail Master Plan) in anticipation of future technical assistance to NAMATA.
The AOT NAMATA was created in 2017 by a text having the status of law, which confers on him very broad competences (including on the use of grounds) on the perimeter of the metropolitan area. Many needs are identified to accompany the emergence of this AOT, on which CODATU could intervene:
– internal organization (human resources, operation), development and positioning in relation to other actors of urban mobility
– development of a coherent strategy for the Nairobi urban mobility system: launch of a SUMP, contribution to the development of a political vision, integration with peripheral urban development issues, etc.
– evolution of the legal framework of urban mobility
– reorganization / professionalization of the artisanal transport
– Structuring and use of the data of the mobility system (big data)
– advice on financing (AOT, mass transit projects)
The partners, AFD, NAMATA, CODATU, agreed to meet again in December to advance in the realization of this technical assistance. To be continued !
CODATU Contacts: Solène Baffi in Lyon and Teddy Delaunay in Nairobi